Monday, March 24, 2008

Haiti


Hello everyone! I have made it back from Haiti safely. I appreciate all the prayers that everyone has been saying for me and the group that I went with. When we finally got to Ft. Lauderdale to get on our plane, it was a half hour late. Now that I have been to Haiti I realize they do not look at time the same way that Americans do. They just do not have a sense of urgency to get there on time. It is really refreshing.

This is the truck that we rode around in. It has two large bench seats and we all just pile in there. It has been a huge blessing for the children's home to have this truck. They are able to fit all the kids in it if needed. When we arrived there we were immediately taken to church. Their church building is right around the corner from them. We all squish onto one bench. Then more kids and other members came to sit with us. We were all practically sitting on top of each other. It is wonderful to know that we were all there to worship God.

Getting ready for church is a big deal. Everyone is dressed up. The bottom picture is the kids from the children's home. The ones that can sit still are right there in that group. The little kids are dispersed throughout the older kids in the rest of the crowd. It was wonderful to see how each person taking care of each other. It gave new meaning to the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child."

This little girl came and sat with me during church. She was the sweetest girl. I never learned her name. She stayed with me all day long and just held my hand the whole time. In Haiti, the people are always holding each others hands. I think that it is a way of accepting individuals.



This is a picture of Jess, Josie, and Evelin. They were always together. They are like any other teenage girl and love to do hair. There was another group of missionaries there with us and many of their girls got their hair done. It took a very long time.

This is Justin. He spoke English very well. He wanted me to tell everyone "thank you" for sending them support. These kids eat so much better than the people in the town. People are brought to the children's home so that they can even have their injuries taken care of. There is such a need for caring people. Only $15-20 a month feeds these children and takes care of their clothes and necessities for school. It just really blows my mind, when I come back home to a home that actually has a roof on it. We are so very blessed in this country. I am going to be posting some more pictures probably tomorrow. I just wanted to be able to show a little of where I have been this last week. God bless you all!

No comments: