Monday, March 31, 2008

Last Haiti Post

As you can see from the title this will be my last post about Haiti. I just wanted to make sure to get in some pictures of what the town looked like. Sunday morning on April 6th the Haiti mission team will be talking to the congregation about our trip during class time. Please pray that it goes well. Ok, here we go.

This is the market. This does not show how huge it is there. They sell everything that a person would need like food, clothing, toiletries, etc. I believe that the yellow building is a shop. The lucky people have these little (and I stress the word little) shops that they can work out of.


This is the center of downtown. Most people do not drive, they walk. So needless to say that when we drive around we stick out like a sore thumb, especially because there are a whole bunch of white people in the back! These are actually more shops down this street. The areas the people lived in were just concrete buildings and not all had roofs.


This is a great picture of the trash system in Haiti. They pile it up next to the ocean and just dump it in. Literally the ocean is black around the island. The Chilean U.N. is in Haiti to help keep the peace, but it also helps to clean up the city. They have taken their bulldozers and piled up huge amounts of trash to be burned. The other group that was with us said that the city was already much cleaner since they were there 2 years ago.


This is a picture of Beka who was on the trip with me. She would hate this picture. Sorry Beka! Anyway, what I want to show you is to the right of her. Those buildings behind her, that we would just knock over, are houses. Every time I look at these pictures it amazes me what we consider poor here in America versus what poverty really is.



I just had to show you the local "Home Depot". There is another place that just sells planks of wood that the Children's home uses.

This was one of my favorite days! The girl in my lap is Gael (said Guy ell) and the boy is Daniel. Gael and I would just sit there and I would sing songs in English and she would sing songs in Creole. It was awesome. She taught me some words in Creole. I really should have taken some french classes, but I picked up some words. It was so much fun. She loves to learn and even though we had a language barrier, we could over come that.One last picture of me with the kids. It was a wonderful, rewarding time and I will never forget it. I can't believe that I have already been home a week. I would ask that we all remember to pray for the people over there. We have been blessed with so much. Pray for the missionaries there who have dedicated their lives to not only preaching God's word to these people, but helping to improve their economy. The kids must all learn a trade before they graduate from school so they can support themselves and help with creating employment. It is a huge endeavor, but it is working. Love you all!

No comments: